Guardian Profession Revealed For GUILD WARS 2
Published: January 27, 2011 - 2:52pm
ArenaNet has announced the fifth playable profession for the highly anticipated sequel to the award winning Massive Multiplayer Online Game Guild Wars, Meet the Guardian, a defensive and virtuous soldier.
The Guardian profession seems to draw heavy inspiration from divine heroes, such as Paladins and Clerics, of classic fantasy settings. Primarily utilizing shields and one handed weapons, they balance a strong defense with a formidable offense, though the Guardian's primary role is that of a tactician, protecting their companions and maintaining the party's integrity at all costs.
Guardians will employ one of three "Virtues" which will allow them certain bonuses while in combat:
- Justice - Every fifth attack causes burning. Use this skill to make nearby allies' next attacks cause burning. (This disables your Justice for 30 seconds.)
- Courage - Every 30 seconds you are granted Aegis, blocking the next attack. Use this skill to apply Aegis to all nearby allies. (This disables your Courage for 120 seconds.)
- Resolve - You regenerate health. Use this skill to remove conditions and apply Regeneration to all nearby allies. (This disables your Resolve for 120 seconds.)
Focused on melee combat, the Guardian will be allowed combinations of offensive and off-hand item or two handed weapons:
- Main Hand: Mace, Scepter, Sword
- Off Hand: Focus, Shield, Torch
- Two-Handed: Greatsword, Hammer, Staff